Relationships can be challenging, even under the best of circumstances and within the healthiest partnerships. Couples therapy (marriage counseling and couples therapy relate to the same thing and can be used interchangeably), relates to working with an objective licensed therapist to assist in developing, improved communication, fostering forgiveness and reconciliation, cultivating intimacy, relating and understanding one another at a higher level and number of other facets specific to couples goals and values.
Couples therapy provides a safe space to identify and confront challenges, difficulties, and friction within the relationship. In a way this can be dramatically more productive and beneficial than doing it with a limited understanding of the art of communication. If you and your partner frequently experience misunderstandings, argue, have grown distant, or find it difficult to express your feelings or desires without the other person becoming defensive, working with a professional is something to strongly consider.
Premarital counseling can be another component of couples therapy in which the clinician assists in building solidarity and understanding early in the relationship to assist in shaping a solid foundation for future relational success. Discussing and engaging in topics that can potentially lead to dysfunction and poor cohesion later in the relationship can be crucial and helpful features for couples considering marriage or newly wed.
Common themes in couples therapy:
- Increase emotional awareness and identifying your partner’s emotional state
- Cultivation of intimacy, how to enhance and sustain it in both new and long-term relationships
- Problem solving strategies, positive communication skills, how to establish effective boundaries, and how to express your wants and needs in a loving, non-confrontational way
- How to manage, cope, and address breaches in trust and processing experiences of trauma
- Co-parenting strategies and techniques to enhance parenting as a couple
- Developing sincerity, openness, and honesty with in an intimate relationship
Contact us today to schedule a FREE phone consultation.